Joseph J. Henderson,
Michael L. Henderson,
David A. Henderson,
In 1928, Joseph J. Henderson and brother-in-law, Guy
Lund, started a successful residential construction company, Henderson
& Lund. All was going well until the Great Depression ground construction
to a halt. The business did survive and, once the Depression eased,
work was again plentiful until World War II. Guy Lund sold his share
of the company to Joe for $369 and went to work for a defense contractor.
WWII the company, now named Joseph J. Henderson General Contractor,
began adding more commercial work, and Don Henderson joined the company.
Throughout the 1950’s JJH remained primarily a residential contractor
and focused on building relationships to spur growth. In 1956 the company
name was changed to Joseph J. Henderson & Son General Contractor.
In 1971, Don took over as president and JJH began building a significant
amount of commercial work, including the first of many Abbott Laboratories
jobs and its first million-dollar contract, Citizens National Bank
In the 1980’s the third generation of Henderson’s joined
JJH, Michael in 1981 and David in 1988. During that time JJH started
undertaking water and wastewater treatment plant work which continues
to be a mainstay for the company today.
Don retired in 1994, Mike took over as president, and David became
In 2005, Mike retired and David was promoted
No one had more of an impact on the growth,
stability, or philosophy of JJH than Don Henderson. His vision and
commitment to quality, fairness, honesty, and customer satisfaction
are what laid the foundation for the company’s prosperity. Don
had successfully transformed a modest, residential construction company
into one of the largest, commercial general contractors in Lake County.
One of JJH’s greatest assets is its ability to handle the growth
of the company and still maintain the company’s value system:
Striving to insure that its employees treat everyone with the same
commitment of fairness, honesty and respect one would expect in a close-knit
family. Many positive client letters and numerous awards attest to
the fact that customer service and customer satisfaction have always
been a hallmark of JJH.
“Moving forward we will continue to improve
our skills and performance and uphold the principles that JJH was founded
on: Quality, Fairness, Honesty, and Excellent Customer Service.”
~ David A. Henderson, President
History of JJH’s Historic Main Office Building
In 1964, Don Henderson purchased two vacant, adjacent buildings on
Grand Avenue in Gurnee and combined them into one. The buildings date
back to the late 1800’s, having been a feed & seed store,
a general store, post office, sheet metal company and cleaning company.
After some remodeling, JJH moved into the building in1965. In 1972,
a second story was added over the office area.